The Anubis Gates – Foreign Language Editions – Page One
The Anubis Gates is, to date, Tim Powers's most popular title and as such has sold around the world and been published in many languages. This page details these foreign language editions – if you should come across an edition NOT listed here, be sure to let me know!
- French – Three small paperback editions have been released in France, under the title Les Voies d'Anubis, all published by Editions J'ai Lu. They were issued in 1996, 1998 and 2003 respectively, the latter (above right) published to coincide with the author's visit to the Utopialis convetnion in Nantes, where he was one of that year's guests of honour.
- Spanish – The Spanish edition of The Anubis Gates – Las Puertas De Anubis – has proved difficult to trace in terms of exact details. As far as I can gather it was first published in Spain by Martinez Roca 1988. This edition was issued in hardcover, though it is possible that a trade paperback was released simultaneously.There was certainly a trade paperback reissued released in 1991. Additionally there is believed to be a varient of this Roca edition that was produced exclusively for sale in Mexico. In 1990, a book club hard cover edition (pictured above right) was issued by Círculo de Lectores.
Gigamesh have, in recent years, twice published editions of Las Puertas De Anubis, in 1999 and 2003 respectively. These were trade paperback releases. Further details for these editions can be found at the publisher's web site.
- German – two editions have been published of Die Tore zu Anubis Reich, both paperbacks. The first appeared in 1988, published by Heyne, who reissued the novel in 2004 as part of their Meisterwerke der Fantasy series. This reissue featured rather odd Tolkeinesque cover art and a specially commissioned introduction by James P. Blaylock. A new german edition is due to be published in January 2008 by Piper. More details on this as I have them.
- Finnish – Anubiksen Portit was published by Kirjayhtyma, Helsinki, 1992. This edition was published in two parts, each featuring different cover art. I've not seen a copy, so can't confirm the format. If you can help me locate a copy of this edition, PLEASE CONTACT ME.
- Croation – A hardcover edition entitled Anubisova vrata was published in 1988 by Mladost, a publisher based in Zagreb. I have been unable to confirm if they are still in business.
- Dutch – a large format trade paperback, De Pooran Van Anubis was published by Meulenhoff, Amsterdam in 1992. The translation by M.K. Stuyter sj.
- Swedish – Anubish Portana has been published at least twice in Sweden. The image above left is the hard cover editon issued by Wiken in 1990. However, a varient exists, probably a book club edition, with the publisher listed as Bra Spanning. This edition was issued in the same year, and is identical to the Wiken edition, but carries no identifying ISBN. Additionally, a paperback edition (above right) was issued in 1992.
- Polish – A peculiar mystery surrounds the Polish edition of Wrota Anubisa. The book has been published twice by the same publisher, Wydawnictwo Amber, both editions being mass market paperbacks. My best guess is that the book pictured above left is the 1997 edition and the one on the right, the 2002 edition. However, a physical examination of both books reveals that neither lists a year of publication and both carry the idental ISBN 83-7169-511-X making it very difficult to know which is which. Does anyone out there know for sure?
- Italian – Above left is the Italian first edition of Le Porte Di Anubis, a trade paperback published by Fanucci Editore in1991. A mass market edition followed in 1995, though this re-release did not carry the introcudction by Gianni Pilo that was printed in the previous edition.